GENERAL Information on Laughing Whitefish Point
Laughing Whitefish Point is a carefree and secure place to live, vacation or retire. It is an accessible and central base from which to explore the trout streams, lakes, abundant wilderness and superb quality of life in the U.P. Many architecturally unique homes have been built here on dramatic sites.
Access is off Highway M-28, the principal state highway on the southern shore of Lake Superior. This provides easy access to the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Hiawatha National Forest, two deepwater harbors, a first class downhill ski area, limitless cross country and snowmobile trails, wild land, lakes, and streams. It also offers easy year round access to the UP's regional medical center and an airport with scheduled jet service supplies, shopping, restaurants, museums, concerts and services.
This is a rural area and the deed restrictions provide important protections that will safeguard the value of homes built on these sites. Click on the link at the bottom of the page to read the user-friendly set of deed restrictions that have been recorded with each parcel.
Typical purchasers are 45 - 55 and are from a major metro area, or are just retired or about to retire. Younger purchasers typically say they may not build for ten years. When asked they say they are buying their parcel for seasonal recreation (which about 20% of the time includes winter), and for possible retirement later. Most say they plan to build a cedar home or a log home. When homes are built most are architecturally designed, high quality, year-round homes with 3,000 square feet or more.
Unlike most areas with exceptional natural beauty, Michigan's Upper Peninsula has not been over-developed and will not be. 50% of the U.P. is in federal or state ownership, which gives the land permanent protection.
Timber companies own 90% of the rest. They view these lands as a strategic corporate asset to be held for the long-term production of forest products, so they are not sold and broken up. Instead they are usually enrolled in the Commercial Forest Reserve, or "CFR", which provides a significant tax break in return for 1) holding the lands exclusively for the production of forest products, and 2) allowing public access for hunting, fishing, and outdoor recreation. The bottom line is that upwards of 90% of the U.P. remains wild and open to the public by law. Development is thus limited to the remaining 10%. Clustered development with the remaining land held open is more reminiscent of the European style than the United States. You will like it!
Please contact Huey Real Estate for pricing.
More Information About This Listing
Laughing Whitefish Point Deed Restrictions, Easements, and Conditions